*Affiliate Disclosure* Posts within this website may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a small percentage if you make a purchase using affiliate links. We only support affiliates we believe have quality products and services for our readers.
Effective October 1, 2023, the examinations will be referenced to the
2023 NEC Code Book
Are you a Texas electrical professional looking to renew your license? The process can seem overwhelming, but it doesn't have to be. This article provides a step-by-step guide on how to renew your license through the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR).
Sign up for our newsletters: Everything NEC Exam Prep! Get weekly updates, tips, tutorials and much more.
By following these simple steps, you can ensure that your license remains active and in good standing, avoiding the hassle and added fees of reapplying for a new license.
To renew your Texas electrical license, you will need to complete the renewal process through the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR).
The specific steps for renewing your license will depend on the type of license you have and the expiration date of your current license. Keep reading to learn more!
Here are the general steps for renewing your Texas electrical license:
- Check the expiration date of your current license. You can only renew your license within 90 days of the expiration date.
- Determine the renewal fee for your license type. The renewal fee will vary depending on the type of license you have.
- Complete any required continuing education (CE) hours. Most Texas electrical licenses require CE hours to be completed before the license can be renewed. The specific CE requirements will depend on the type of license you have.
- Renew your license online through the TDLR website. To renew online, you will need to log in to your TDLR account and complete the renewal process. You will need to pay the renewal fee and provide any necessary documentation, such as proof of CE completion.
- Print your renewed license. After your renewal has been processed and approved, you can print a copy of your renewed license from your TDLR account.
It is important to renew your Texas electrical license before the expiration date to avoid lapsing in your license.
If your license lapses, you may need to reapply for a new license, which may require additional fees and documentation.
To sum up, renewing your electrical contractor's license in Texas is easy and may be done through the TDLR website. If you're an electrician in the state of Texas and you want to keep your license current, you can do so by following the general methods mentioned in this article. Verify your license's expiration date, calculate the renewal fee, earn any required continuing education credits, renew your license electronically, and print your updated license. If you follow these procedures, you won't let your license expire and can keep helping your clients and the community.
Renew an Apprentice Electrician License
Renew a Journeyman Electrician License
Renew a Master Electrician License